Yes: if you need a visa to study in France (if your stay in France will exceed 90 days and you are not European).
In addition to your visa application, you'll need to supply a certificate of pre-enrollment to Campus France (the institution which approves you for your period of planned study) and to the French consulate (the institution which issues your visa) in your country. The CAMPUS Langues private institute will provide you with this document when you pre-enroll.

No: if you are European or if you are a tourist (your stay in France will not exceed 90 days) or if the validity date of your residence permit (your visa or your ""Student's"", Family Visit Working Holiday, Resident's or Employee's residence permit) has not expired.